Public Works Inspector
$34.82 - $46.83 Hourly
City of Palm Springs, CA
Full Time - Regular
Engineering Services - 1023
This position is a member of the Engineering Services Department and performs detailed inspections of all public and private public works construction projects; ensures conformance with City standard specifications and safety standards; and performs a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
Examples of Essential and General Responsibilities
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform a variety of detailed inspections and dust control oversight on private and public engineering projects; produce accurate and technical mathematical computations regarding inspection findings.
- Obtain a variety of field measurements during inspections; prepare topographical surveys, sketches and drawings for the design of City projects.
- Inspect all public and private public works construction projects including State, Riverside County Flood Control and utility agencies in the right-of-way; ensure conformance with City standard specifications and safety standards.
- Prepare and review detailed logs and reports of all public works construction.
- Coordinate and schedule the work of contractors and developers; insure public works projects will run smoothly.
- Observe work in the field during progress and upon completion; confer with developers, contractors, superintendents, inspectors and owners; ensure that safety procedures are followed.
- Prepare and review detailed logs and reports of all public and private public works construction projects; submit and fill out various contract paperwork.
- Assist on special projects as assigned.
- Perform surveying duties as required.
- Respond to emergencies including floods, oil spills, dust storms road closures, power outages and other related incidents.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Minimum and Preferred Requirements
Minimum requirements must be clearly demonstrated on the application to be considered, however, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to compete further in the selection process. Experience requirements must be demonstrated in the "Work Experience" section of the application, other sections of the application will not be used to determine experience qualifications. (One year of work experience is the equivalent of 12 months of full-time work. "Full-time work" means at least 36 hours of work over a period of one week or 1,872 hours of work over a period of at least 12 months.) Qualifications noted as "desirable" or "preferred" are not included as part of the minimum requirements.
Two (2) years of increasingly responsible public works or engineering inspection experience is required. (Required experience may include private or public sector experience.)
- High School Diploma or equivalent education is required.
- Specialized training in public works or engineering inspection or a related field is preferred.
License or Certificates
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver License with a satisfactory driving record (a driving record may be deemed unsatisfactory for any of the following reasons: three or more moving violations or reportable accident within the last three years; conviction of driving under the influence within the last five years) is required.
- Possession of an American Construction Inspection Association certificate related to the position is preferred.
- Possession of a Qualified Storm Water Pollution Practitioner (QSP) certificate is preferred.
- Incumbent will be enrolled in the California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) Pull Notice Program. The DMV Pull Notice Program provides information on the incumbents driving record and driving record status on a periodic basis to the City.
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment background investigation, and physical and drug screen.
The following work environment and physical conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
This position works in an office and field environment; travels from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, radiant energy, moving objects and vehicles; inclement weather conditions; work on slippery or uneven surfaces and may require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking or standing for prolonged periods; light lifting and carrying.
Application and Exam Information
A completed application and supplemental questionnaire are required by the closing date and time. As a candidate for the position, you will want to be sure your application accurately reflects your skills and abilities as they relate to the position to achieve maximum opportunity. Applications will be reviewed carefully, and only those who appear to have the best qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process. Minimum requirements must be clearly demonstrated on the application to be considered as this information will be used to determine minimum qualifications.
Experience requirements must be demonstrated in the "Work Experience" section of the application, other sections of the application will not be used to determine experience qualifications. Resumes and other documents may be submitted, however they will not be used to determine minimum qualifications, please do not use phrases such as "see attached" or "see resume" as they will not be considered.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to compete further in the process. Minimum requirements must be met at the time of application submission unless stated otherwise.
The selection process - for this position may include one or more of the following: application review, qualification review, written exam, practical exam, oral panel exam and department interview. Candidates must successfully pass each stage of the selection process above in order to continue to the next step. This process may be modified or changed depending on the number of qualified candidates.
Please remember to submit all your application materials by the closing date and time. Incomplete or applications received after the closing date and time cannot be considered. All information on the application is subject to investigation and verification.
If you are ready to join the exciting Team Palm Springs and you meet the requirements detailed above, please click the apply button. For more information contact Human Resources at:
The City of Palm Springs
3200 East Tahquitz Canyon Way
Palm Springs, CA 92262
Applications will be accepted until filled. The City of Palm Springs reserves the right to accelerate or extend the "Closing Date" of open positions at any time, dependent upon the number of applications received.
The City of Palm Springs is an equal employment opportunity employer and we encourage all persons to file applications. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, family or marital status, disability, medical condition or pregnancy, genetic information, religious or political affiliation, or veteran status.
Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of Palm Springs Employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4751615