The City of Worcester is seeking an experienced public works professional for the new Deputy Commissioner role to lead the day-to-day operations of the Department of Public Works and Parks (DPW&P). This high level management position is responsible for assisting the direction, coordination, and administration of the DPW&P operations and staff of more than 450 employees; ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations; conducting fiscal budgeting, planning, and preparation; management of personnel resources; and the delivery of exemplary customer service. For a summary of the department’s divisions and services, please see the DPW&P website at: http://www.worcesterma.gov/dpw/about-us/divisions
Qualified applicants will have experience with modern public works administration including municipal utilities and principles of civil engineering; be able to plan, coordinate, and direct large scale labor operations; compose complex technical reports; interpret data and performance metrics; and prepare reports based on studies of divisional operations, and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, the general public, and with diverse populations. For a full job description, please go to: http://www.worcesterma.gov/human-resources/employment-opportunities
The City of Worcester offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance; optional life, disability, and deferred compensation plans; retirement/pension plan; tuition waiver and professional development opportunities; 11 paid holidays; paid vacation and sick leave.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or related field
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible public works operational experience; of which five (5) years must have been in a managerial capacity
- Professional Engineer (PE) License
- MA Class III Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Business/Public Administration, or related field
- Fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible public works operational experience
- Ten (10) years of public works management experience
ANNUAL SALARY: up to $148,000. Excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before October 4, 2019 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.