Blaine, MN (population 70,979), a rapidly growing community located in the northwest metro area of the Twin Cities, situated only 11 miles from downtown Minneapolis, seeks collaborative, strategic and experienced candidates for its next Director of Public Works. The Director of Public Works reports directly to the City Manager and will oversee a department with 67 FTEs and the divisions of Water, Sewer and Storm Sewer, Streets Maintenance, Parks Maintenance, Asset Management/Fleet Services and Engineering. Employees in Water, Sewer, and Stormwater and Streets and Parks Maintenance are represented by a collective bargaining unit.
Blaine is currently the 10th largest city in Minnesota and covers 34 square files. Blaine currently owns and operates 23 wells, 32 lift stations and four water treatment facilities and 150 miles of sanitary sewer. The city is also responsible for approximately 290 centerline miles of paved roadway, over 170 miles of sidewalks and trails, and 67 municipal parks with over 755 acres, and the management of the urban forest.
The full Public Works operations budget for 2022 is $8,958,230. The water utility budget is $10 million. The sewer utility budget is $9.1 million, and the stormwater utility budget is $3 million for 2022.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Public Works Administration, Public Administration, Business Administration, or closely related field. A Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Eight years of experience in the field of public works, including three years overseeing the management of a public works function.
- Five years of supervisory level experience.
- A professional engineer registration is desirable, but not required.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- A collaborative leader, able to form cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A strategic leader, able to balance multiple priorities and adapt as needed.
- An effective change manager, able to guide and prepare teams to address emerging issues and/or opportunities.
- An approachable leader, able to develop, mentor and coach staff.
- An excellent communicator, both written and orally.
- A skilled manager, able to manage multiple and complex projects and budgets.
- Highly responsive to community concerns, needs, and inquiries.
- Knowledgeable and up to date with best practices for public works management and service delivery and capable of implementing the same in an organization.
- Comfortable and experienced in using data and performance metrics.
- Experienced with a rapidly growing community.
- Comfortable and experienced working within a collective bargaining environment.
Compensation and Benefits
The hiring range for the position is $144,664 - $166,337 DOQ. The full range extends to $188,032 with the performance zone. The City of Blaine provides an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
This position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed as they are received. Interested candidates should apply at once, but no later than December 22, 2022, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references at www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (224) 282-8314. The City of Blaine, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interviews with the City of Blaine are anticipated for early January 2023.