Assists the Solid Waste Manager with oversight of daily operations and activities for the Solid Waste Center. This position has overall responsibility for the safe and effective operation of the Pitkin County Solid Waste Center. Assumes the duties and responsibilities of the Solid Waste Manager in their absence. Participates in daily operations to ensure the Solid Waste Center is operating efficiently and in compliance with Local, State, and Federal laws. Assists with developing and implementing policies. This position is based at the Pitkin County Solid Waste Center, typical work schedule will include early morning shifts, 5 days per week. Duties may vary according to job assignment.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provides direction and planning to all employees; evaluates employee work performance; reviews work procedures and methods and establishes work priorities.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring Solid Waste Center employees to ensure conflicts are addressed timely. Completes time card approval and monitors labor budget for compliance.
- Coordinates and delegates daily work priorities to Solid Waste Center supervisors. Ensures that daily pre-shift meetings occur to communicate priorities and work planning for the team.
- Oversees operation of landfill equipment as needed to ensure projects are completed; runs data to find compaction rates and monitor heavy equipment conditions
- Ensures upkeep of landfill equipment and vehicles; Ensure daily pre-checks are completed & submits requests for maintenance as needed.
- Coordinates with Fleet department in a proactive manner to avoid downtime of equipment & project future equipment needs.
- Ensures regulatory compliance by reviewing and keeping up to date on regulatory changes.
- Responsible for the safety of employees, contractors, and the general public. Conduct regular safety meetings with employees and completes inspections to monitor compliance of safety programs. Responds to emergencies and coordinates with emergency personnel as required.
- Oversees Financial analysis of landfill programs, makes adjustments to landfill operations as needed to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Responsible for monitoring and approving employee purchase card usage. Makes recommendations to transition to invoicing as appropriate; Handles department invoicing and manages payment by working with the finance department.
- Coordinates with County procurement department to review and renew contracts; Submits Requests for Proposals (RFP) on operations projects.
- Participates with the Solid Waste Manager in annual budget planning.
- Participates with the Solid Waste Manager in preparing for and presenting to Board and stakeholder meetings; conducts regular department meetings to disseminate information.
- Collaborates with other County departments as needed to complete projects and tasks.
- Sets up internal and external training for employees to promote individual and team growth; Works with staff to ensure all employees meet and maintain required certifications.
- Supports the relationship between Pitkin County government and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and County staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and County information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree related to environmental engineering or management; AND a minimum of five years of progressively responsible management experience at a solid waste facility; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Must possess a Hazardous Waste Operations and Response (HAZWOPER) certification, or have the ability to obtain certification within one year of appointment.
Must possess a Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Manager of Landfill Operations certification, or have the ability to obtain certification within one year of appointment.
Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record.
Must possess or be willing to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver Licence (CDL) with tanker endorsement, within one year of appointment.