Village of Westmont, IL (population 24,685) is seeking qualified public works/civil engineering professionals as candidates for its next Director of Public Works.
Commitment and organizational stability are key reasons the Village of Westmont has become one of Chicagoland’s most attractive local government places of employment and why 25,000 residents and hundreds of companies call this community home. Westmont is easily accessible by land, air and commuter rail: easy access to major regional roadways such as U.S. route 34, Interstate I-294, and state routes 35 and 83, just eighteen miles west of the Chicago Loop and only twenty-five minutes from O’Hare International Airport. The Village is part of DuPage County and sits on the edge of the Chicago Metropolitan Statistical Area. Westmont is home to both Fortune 500 Companies and successful small to midsize businesses. Westmont truly has something for everyone and is “In the middle of it all.”
The Director of Public Works reports directly to the Village Manager and directs the operations of a 39-member Public Works Department out of a state-of-the-art Public Works Facility. The Director oversees three (3) Division supervisors responsible for delivering exceptional public service through street, water, and fleet maintenance operations. The department is also responsible for coordinating a variety of capital improvements as well as facilities maintenance. The Director oversees an annual operational budget of $12,500,000 and plays a significant role in the City’s $24,000,000 capital budget. The Village is seeking a Director that embraces the values of diplomacy, approachability, collaborative leadership, and is able to engage and effectively communicate with the Village residents.
- Oversee and unify the (3) three Public Works Divisions into one efficient department.
- Develop and build a sense of team.
- Resolve complex and sensitive customer service issues and inquiries.
- Prepare and administer the Public Works Budget including forecasting of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Evaluate public works needs and formulate short and long range plans to meet those needs.
- Supervise the review of private project development plans.
- Oversee the Village Transportation Improvement Program, the Comprehensive Water Plan, the Capital Improvement Program, and other plans involving municipal infrastructure.
- Oversee project management for the construction of public works projects and ensures contractor compliance with time and budget parameters.
- Oversee the maintenance of municipal infrastructure.
- Maintain regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, municipal partners, and the general public.
- Oversees the Village’s Stormwater Management Program.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Knowledge, skill, and development equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering, public administration, or a related field.
- A Professional Engineer (PE) is preferred, but not required.
- A Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Public Administration is preferred, but not required. The Village will consider a combination of education and experience.
- Six (6) years of previous progressively responsible experience is required. The Village will consider a combination of education and experience.
- Three (3) years previous supervisory, management, and/or project management experience is preferred.
- Two years previous experience in water or other utilities is preferred
- Considerable knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, and methods in a municipal setting.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervisory management and positive employee relations.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Platform.
- Ability to express ideas on technical subjects clearly and concisely, including public presentations to the Village Board and other stakeholders.
- Ability to oversee the department’s safety/loss prevention and training program.
- Strategic planning skills: flexibility to adjust plans due to budgetary constraints, budgetary opportunities, and advances in technology.
- Large capital project management and oversight skills and experience.
- Ability to listen to and understand different perspectives.
The Village encourages local Westmont residents to apply that possess these ideal qualifications.
Compensation and Benefits:
The anticipated starting salary range is between $112,944 and $142,000 +/– based upon education and previous experience. The current range maximum is $163,841. The Village will soon be engaging in a compensation study. Residency is required in DuPage County or any county that is contiguous to DuPage County by the end of the 12-month Qualification Period.
This is a full-time, exempt position with the Village of Westmont. The Village offers an extremely competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, health and wellness program, and vacation leave at time of employment. The Village also offers paid holidays with floating holidays that begin at employment, sick leave, professional development, professional memberships, as well as participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement System (IMRF).
Interested Candidates should apply immediately online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by August 29, 2022, to http://www.govhrjobs.com/ to the attention of Jim Arndt, Vice President, GovHR USA. Tel: 217-500-0770. Electronic submissions are required.
The Village of Westmont is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Click Here to Apply!