Salary: $39.21 - $55.52 per hour
Mission Viejo is a 17.4 square mile community in south Orange County, California with its population at 100,000. It is located about halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego, along the east side of Interstate 5. The City of Mission Viejo is committed to providing services that are responsive, innovative, fiscally sound, and that will result in a caring community where people are the difference. With no bargaining units, an assortment of benefit options, and opportunities to develop skills while having a healthy work/life balance, it’s a great place to work!
Currently, there is one (1) full-time vacancy assigned to the Operations Division in the Public Services Department scheduled to work forty (40) hours per week. Work days may be either Monday through Friday; or Tuesday through Saturday. Work hours may be either 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; or 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The schedule and assignment may vary depending on the needs of the City including potential evening work, weekend assignments, and/or special events. This is an FLSA non-exempt position in the City’s general employee group.
The first round of Zoom interviews is tentatively scheduled for the week of August 29, 2022. Only one date will be available for an applicant to attend. The City will not accommodate applicant scheduling requests for alternative dates.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
• Develops, supervises, evaluates and participates in various programs and activities related to the maintenance and operation of the City’s sidewalks, curbs, gutters, spandrels and drive approaches.
• Plans, develops and administers contracts for and performs risk management for all concrete displacements within the City.
• Manages graffiti removal and steam cleaning contract; oversees and manages the City’s graffiti hot line for resident complaints and personally inspects the City on a daily basis.
• Manages the hardscape contract regarding construction, maintenance and repair for street medians, block walls and concrete block buildings.
• Manages public transportation facilities, including bus shelters, benches, advertising boards, and trash containers.
• Develops and designs sub-surface French lines to eradicate ground water issues.
• Inspects the City’s road system, trails, and parking lots for liability issues, road failures, and for various other risk management issues.
• Manages and implements the City’s pavement management system.
• Supervises and inspects work on various capital improvement projects for the construction and rehabilitation of storm drains.
• Ensures elevation grades in City pavements in compliance with the American Disabilities Act to create tolerance for wheel chair ramps and paths to travel.
• Coordinates and personally participates in the set-up and clean-up of City facilities for reserved gatherings and special events, such as moving furniture, equipment and supplies.
• Inspects street sweeping of arterial sweeping routes; contacts sweeping contractor to report any unsatisfactory sweeping and schedules necessary re-sweeps; inspects resident reports of oil, paint, or hazardous material spills in the public right-of-way; schedules clean-ups and necessary.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants are encouraged to review the entire Public Services Supervisor job description by visiting the City’s website at https://cityofmissionviejo.org.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with numerous deadlines;
- Strong knowledge and experience in the assigned area of responsibility;
- Someone who can handle a variety of tasks at once, is detailed-oriented and is accurate in their work;
- Someone who can communicate effectively and diplomatically with contractors, homeowners, consultants, and other agencies.
- Good oral and written communication skills with knowledge of writing and standard format for reports and correspondence.
- Must be able to work independently and in a group environment.
Equivalent to completion of two (2) years of college or technical school training, or possession of an Associate of Arts degree in construction management or a related field or possession of a Public Works Certificate supplemented with five (5) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of a variety or municipal infrastructure and facilities, including two (2) years of supervisory or administrative experience. Additional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis up to a maximum of two (2) years.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Must possess and maintain a valid California class C driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. Possession of a Public Works Certification, or training in any maintenance and construction specialties related to the work are desirable.
APPLY BY: 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 17, 2022. Applicants are required to apply on-line directly by visiting the City’s website at https://cityofmissionviejo.org/departments/human-resources/job-opportunities. Applicants are encouraged to review the entire Public Services Supervisor job description by visiting the City’s website at https://cityofmissionviejo.org/. For more information, contact the Human Resources Division at (949) 470-3008.