The City of Cedar Hill is seeking an innovative, community-oriented servant leader ready to join its municipal family as the next Public Works Director!
Up to $170,000 annually starting, depending on qualifications.
Why This Role is Valuable
The purpose of this position is to direct the activities and operations of the Public Works Department by coordinating the activities of various departments. This is accomplished by establishing the activities of the Fleet Maintenance, Street Maintenance, Water and Sewer, Engineering, Transportation and CIP Divisions with each other and outside agencies. Other duties may include recommending and administering policies and procedures, directing and coordinating department work plans, supervising department personnel, overseeing and participating in the development and administration of budgets, representing the Department to other City Departments, and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position provides direction to other employees.
Click here to learn more!
The salary range for this position is up to $170,000, depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. The first review of applications will take place on November 28, 2023.
What You Bring to the Role
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, or closely related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- Candidates must also have at least seven (7) years of related experience, which can include a combination of Senior Engineer, City Engineer & Public Works Director experience with at least three years of supervisory experience.
- Candidates must also possess the following licenses/certifications:
o Valid Texas Driver License
o Professional Engineer License
How You Add Value
- Creates a vision for the department that will raise the bar and gain recognition in the Metroplex. Develops a strategic plan to implement the vision.
- Provides premier customer service to internal and external customers by responding to requests in a timely and professional manner. Manages department services and activities by recommending and administering policies and procedures, establishing appropriate service and personnel levels, monitoring and evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures, allocating resources and coordinating and directing a variety of projects.
- Directs and coordinates department work plans by assigning projects and areas of responsibility, reviewing and evaluating work methods and procedures, meeting with management, identifying and resolving problems, assessing and monitoring workloads, administrative and support systems and internal reporting relationships, identifying opportunities for improvement and directing and implementing changes
- Supervises department personnel by providing and coordinating employee training, working with employees to correct deficiencies and implementing discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the City’s 5-year Capital Improvement Program and annual capital improvement budgets by forecasting funds needed for personnel, equipment, materials and supplies, approving expenditures and implementing budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Represents the department to other City departments, elected officials and outside agencies by coordinating department activities with other departments, agencies and organizations, participating on a variety of boards, commissions and committees and attending and participating in professional group meetings.
- Explains, justifies and defends department programs, policies and activities by negotiating and resolving sensitive and controversial issues, responding to and resolving citizen inquiries and complaints and presenting reports and any necessary correspondence.
- Regular attendance required.
How to Join Our Family
Complete online application at Cedar Hill City Website at www.cedarhilltx.com. Please attach resume and letter of interest. If you are having trouble with the NEOGOV Applicant tracking site, please call the NEOGOV technical support number at 1-877-204-4442 and select option 1.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Cedar Hill will make every reasonable effort to accommodate your needs. For any special requests, please call Human Resources at 972-291-5100, ext 1050.
The City of Cedar Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of genetic information in compliance with GINA, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, age, or disability in hiring, conditions, or termination of employment. Final applicants for employment with the City of Cedar Hill are subject to drug testing and background screening.