Salary: $19.02 Hourly
Performs skilled work in the safe and efficient operation of heavy trucks, tractors, and other medium-sized equipment where driving and maneuvering the vehicle constitutes the majority of the work required to complete tasks for in a variety of public works, landfill, parks or utility construction and maintenance projects to include, grading, landscaping, excavating, landfill, roads, storm drainage systems, parks or similar projects. Equipment in this classification includes vehicles with complex mechanisms that require the highest degree of skill, dexterity, and finesse, and where work is performed to exacting tolerances. May have responsibility for leading a small crew of workers in maintenance, repair, and construction work.
- Serves primarily as an operator of one or more kinds of assigned mechanized equipment utilized in the construction, alteration, repair, cleaning, and/or maintenance of various public works, landfill, parks or utility projects, to include but not all inclusive of the following types of equipment: medium-duty flat bed, dump and tank trucks, tractor mowers, semi-tractor trailers, semi-trucks, roll-off trucks, small front-end loaders, platform mowers, farm tractors with attachments, tandem dump trucks, bull dozers, pay loaders, large mowers, slope mowers, backhoes, excavators, motor graders, bush hog, garbage compactor, and other similar equipment; may operate a motor grader for ditching, leveling, and smoothing to grade line on maintenance and construction projects.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools such as jackhammers and chain saws.
- Loads and off-loads materials, supplies, or equipment: and cleans up at job site.
- Makes minor adjustments to and performs routine maintenance on equipment: and washes and cleans equipment after use.
- Sets up work zones to ensure crew safety.
- May collect and separate hazardous materials.
- Prepares daily/weekly activity reports.
- May act as crew leader and be responsible for the supervision of project work teams/staff.
- Provide exceptional customer assistance, problem-solving, and/or complaints by all forms of communication.
Min. Education, Licenses and Certifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED, with some vocational or technical training in equipment maintenance and operations.
- Five (5) years of experience in operating equipment in the construction, repair, and/or maintenance of public infrastructure or a related field.
- Or an equivalent combination of relevant training, education, and experience.
Licenses and/or Certificates:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and rules governing transporting of equipment and its operation on public streets and highways.
- Knowledge of hazardous waste materials and transporting hazardous materials on public streets and highways.
- Knowledge of the functions, operating methods, and routine care/maintenance for standard automotive and construction equipment.
- Knowledge of the hazards of operation and appropriate safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of excavation, drainage, surfacing, and similar construction work.
- Knowledge of street surfacing materials, including asphalt and aggregates and street paving processes.
- Skill in the operation of assigned equipment in accordance with traffic laws and regulations.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to work independently.
- Ability to make recommendations and to use resourcefulness and tact in solving new problems.
- Ability to ascertain priorities and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to perform manual labor, sometimes under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Ability to provide internal/external guidance and customer assistance via all forms of communication.
Charlotte County is an Affirmative Action/ADA/Veterans’ Preference and Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Working Conditions: Work is exposed to outdoor weather conditions or irate customers, extreme noise, odors, heights, and/or dust.
Risk/Safety Conditions:The position requires moderate exposure or risk related to physical and/or mental health and safety (e.g., exposure to environmentally hazardous material, heavy equipment, assault and battery, communicable disease, etc).
Physical Activities: Stooping, crouching, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, kneeling, reaching, pushing, talking, standing, finger movement, repetitive motions, depth perception, crawling, climbing. Frequent lifting of 10 to 25 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.