The City of Coral Springs is seeking a highly qualified Director to lead our full service Public Works Department that consists of: Water Treatment, Wastewater Collection, Water Distribution, Building Facilities, Streets, Maintenance, Storm-water Management, Fleet Services, Engineering, Horticulture and Landscaping and Solid Waste Management.
The ideal candidate will have served in a leadership capacity overseeing Public Works services in community with a population greater than 50,000 residents and have 10 or more years of related leadership experience in Public Works services (including 10 years in a supervisory capacity and 5 or more years serving as Director or Assistant Director level).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Professional work of a difficult and highly responsible nature in connection with planning, coordinating and directing activities of the Public Works of the City. Work involves the application of technical public works and expertise to a variety of complex City projects and includes the exercise of administrative skills to coordinate the activities of various Public Works divisional groups including Engineering, Construction, Construction Management, Streets and Right of Way Maintenance, Storm water Utility, Median landscape Maintenance, Facilities Management, Fleet Maintenance, Water and Sewer, Solid Waste, and Recycling. A major emphasis is on overall administrative planning to effect efficient and effective utilization of facilities, personnel, and equipment. Considerable independent judgment, discretion, and initiative is exercised in carrying out daily operations under the general direction of the City Manager. Reports to the City Manager or designee.
Examples of Duties
- Manages and directs the operations of Public Works, overseeing the areas of Engineering, Construction Management, Streets and Right of Way Maintenance, Storm water Utility Median landscape Maintenance, Facilities Management, Fleet Maintenance, Water and Sewer, Solid Waste, and Recycling.
- Coordinates the planning, design, and construction of major City public works projects.
- Coordinates the review of contracts and specifications for contractors.
- Directs the supervision and inspection of all City and contracted public works projects within the City.
- Develops and oversees budgets for public works project areas.
- Administers consultant agreements for services provided to the City by consultants and architects. Coordinates Public Works reports and feasibility studies.
- Represents the City in dealing with other agencies with respect to public works matters.
- Typical Qualifications
Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Business, Engineering or related field. Master's Degree preferred. Ten (10) years of experience in professionally related work, including three (3) years in a highly responsible administrative capacity; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as office or meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire and building safety regulations, and traffic signals when driving.
Salary: $115,560.00 - $184,680.00 yearly