Salary: $75,136.00 - $107,127.00
This position is responsible for performing professional level engineering work in the areas of planning, design, drafting and project oversight and assessment of Public Works projects. This includes design and construction projects involving water, wastewater, stormwater, transportation and streets. The position also performs a variety of engineering duties related to project delivery including comprehensive plan review, regulatory research, capital planning, infrastructure assessment and data collection and analysis.
- First review of applications April 16, 2020.
- Salary pending finalization of Union negotiations.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Perform professional level engineering work in the planning, design and construction oversight of assigned projects in the areas of street and roadway improvements, sewer/water utility improvements, and storm water management systems and improvements.
- Prepare Plans, Specifications and Estimates for public bidding and administer the bidding process including responding to questions and issuing of addendum.
- Perform contract execution and project administration for assigned projects to include public outreach and communication, submittal review, construction oversight, change order preparation, and assist in project closeout.
- Coordinate with City departments on matters relating to design, construction, Standards and legal requirements as they relate to Engineering practice.
- Collect and analyze field data through the deployment of traffic counters, cameras and gauges for collecting transportation and utility information and prepare engineering reports of the results.
- Participate in the City review of proposals for Development projects to ensure compliance with Public Works Engineering Standards and policies.
- Participate in the selection and coordination of various consultant firms and individuals engaged by the City to assist in the development and administration of Public Works projects.
- Prepare professional Engineering reports including project reports, transportation data analysis reports and operational reports summarizing findings and provide recommendations.
- Develop and/or participate in the development of grant applications and the administration of grants for the planning, design and construction of improvements within the City.
- Promote and represent the City in a positive and effective manner with a high level of integrity.
- Utilize industry established best management practices to perform the duties of the position and maintain public safety, as it relates to Public Works and within the purview of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Have knowledge of and be able to effectively perform the duties listed above under "Essential Job Functions".
- Knowledge of traffic and transportation engineering principles.
- Knowledge of principles related to utility infrastructure, including but not limited to hydrology, hydraulics, and water/wastewater treatment.
- Be able to effectively learn and adapt to new or changing industry concepts, regulations, codes, departmental and City processes, and best engineering practices.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with other City departments, develop and agree on sound solutions that benefit the City, its citizens, and the City's customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly to a variety of audiences, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees, vendors, intergovernmental agencies and the general public.
- Ability to maintain a positive calm attitude while performing duties and in adverse situations.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Hearing and visual acuity and manual dexterity necessary to perform the duties of this job description.
- Ability to perform duties with limited supervision while effectively meeting all established goals and standards.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations as it relates to both public and private developments.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret, analyze, and prepare engineering plans, specifications, engineering drawings and related regulations and information.
- Knowledge of and experience with AutoCAD and AutoDesk products.
- U.S. Citizen or legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Valid Washington State Driver's License and a driving record acceptable to the City.
- Bachelor's Degree from accredited academic institution in Civil, Mechanical, or related engineering discipline.
- Current registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Washington, or the ability to become registered within six months of hire.
- Minimum four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional level engineering experience; experience with municipal/public works engineering preferred.