The Town of Brookline, with a population of approximately 59,000 residents, seeks a Commissioner of the Department of Public Works (DPW Commissioner) to join the senior leadership of the town administration. The Commissioner would continue the leadership of an APWA-accredited Public Works Department that includes the following divisions: Water and Sewer, Sanitation, Engineering, Highway, Transportation, and Parks and Open Space. The Commissioner will build upon and execute public works strategies that provide exceptional service to the town’s residents, businesses and visitors. The Commissioner works closely with a dedicated team of division leaders that provides guidance and support to all town department heads regarding matters related to public works and town infrastructure.
Working closely under the direction of the Town Administrator, the Commissioner will provide strategic direction for the department. Specifically, the DPW Commissioner will be responsible for the technical, and professional work in planning, directing, and budgeting the activities of the Public Works Department, which includes environmental issues, solid waste, public safety, special events, pavement management, roadway and sidewalk repair, street cleaning, snow removal, traffic signals, street lighting, seasonal lighting, multi-modal transportation, fleet maintenance, water and sewer, stormwater management, parks, school grounds, conservation, cemetery, and forestry. The Public Works Commissioner shall support the Town’s goals in environmental sustainability/climate reduction and diversification of the workforce.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dedicated team committed to the welfare of the residents and businesses of the Town of Brookline. The ideal candidate will be a strong relationship-builder, will effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and will prove to be accessible and approachable.
The Department of Public Works employs more than 170 FTEs, including temporary and part-time positions and an operational budget of $23,500,000, including the Water and Sewer Enterprise Fund.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Bachelor's Degree in business, civil engineering, public administration, or related field; ten years of progressively responsible experience in civil or municipal public works construction and maintenance; strong business background highly desirable; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Registration as a Massachusetts Professional Engineer and certification as an American Public Works Association Professional desirable.
- Comprehensive technical and practical knowledge of the materials, methods and techniques relative to public works projects and issues.
- Thorough knowledge of public works financing and administration and human resources management, including collective bargaining.
- Excellent public relations skills across a diverse array of constituencies; considerable negotiating skills and persuasiveness.
- High emotional intelligence and sensitivity to organizational, union, and political issues.
The Public Works Commissioner is appointed by the Town Administrator and approved by the Select Board. The position reports to the Town Administrator. Starting salary range: $142,917.20 - $153,962.40 +/- DOQ, with an excellent benefit package. Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by March 6, 2020 online to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA, LLC – www.GovHRjobs.com. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA at 847-380-3238. The Town of Brookline is an Equal Opportunity Employer.